About Me

My photo
Northglenn, Colorado, United States
I'm primarily a BI Developer on the Microsoft stack. I do sometimes touch upon other Microsoft stacks ( web development, application development, and sql server development).

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Beware of AJAX update panel

A, "why I didn't see that before?", popped into my head thanks to:

http://encosia.com/2007/07/11/why-aspnet-ajax-updatepanels-are-dangerous/

He discusses the concept of the Update Panel. When you are doing a simple update inside the panel, you have to remember that it acts like a refresh but only returning the necessary data to that panel. This is obviously a huge load on the server.

Instead try using the web service method with the AJAX library to get a cleaner result.

I'm more of the old school ASP.Net 2.0 where I'm use to the asynccallback method. In thinking that the update panel was a simpler, quicker solution was nice though, but this just makes more sense.

No comments: